DC Peter Grant's car is referred to as "the Asbo" on many occasions. This is a name first given to the Ford Focus ST by television presenter Jeremy Clarkson on BBC television's Top Gear. It derives from ASBO which is an acronym for an Anti-social Behaviour Order. These were a form of punishment used by British courts to combat minor anti-social offences.
The Focus ST is a high performance hatchback, and was sold in a particularly vivid orange colour (as mentioned by DC Grant). Clarkson felt that the car shared some qualities with those individuals at whom the ASBO was aimed, and thus the nickname.
Which car and of which colour Peter is driving in any one book is somewhat confusing. In timeline order:
- Rivers of London. No Asbo, using a ten-year-old electric blue Ford Escort.
- Moon Over Soho. A battered silver ex-Met Asbo.
- Detective Stories #3. Orange.
- Whispers Under Ground. The bright orange Asbo.
- Broken Homes.The orange Asbo was destroyed at the Essex farm. Replaced with a dark blue Asbo with 2010 plates.
- Body Work. An orange Asbo with license plate 'ASB 01'.
- Foxglove Summer. No colour mentioned, but the Asbo is referred to as 'new' and 'Mark 2'.
- Night Witch (graphic novel). A blue Asbo with license plate 'ASBO 02'.
- Black Mould. A blue Asbo with license plate 'ASB 02'.
- The Furthest Station. Drove both the blue and the orange Asbo. The orange has a better engine.
- The Hanging Tree. Both blue and orange Asbo mentioned. The orange Asbo was destroyed by the Faceless Man.